2020 took the whole world for a spin. Challenging times however always come with their fair share of lessons and opportunity for growth. This year made all of us aware of our health and the health of our loved ones. As well as the huge need of maintaining inner peace and balance in order to stay healthy even when we are in the eye of the storm. The pursuit for wellbeing has never been more necessary just as the interconnection between our emotional/mental and physical health has never been more apparent. Luckily we have nature, and plant/fungi medicine emerging and gaining more popularity. For example, Cannabis and Psilocybin show promising results in improving all three aspects of wellbeing- emotional/mental and physical.
As 2021 approaches it is time to shift focus and prioritize what is important; inner peace and wellbeing. Here are 8 ways to start off the new year on the right foot.
1. Choose Cannabis over Alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant, it is highly inflammatory and damaging to the organs. Especially the detoxing organs such as the liver. Cannabis on the other hand is uplifting, helps you gain new self awareness and it promotes mental, physical and emotional balance by working through our body's Endocannabinoid System.
2. Consider Psychedelics for mental health as opposed to pharmaceutical medications that create dependence. Psychedelic medicine is currently at the forefront of mental health research. But this is no news to humanity, Psychedelics have a deep-rooted history with our indigenous origins, as they have been used by natives from all over the world for treating disease. In particular Psilocybin the main hallucinagen in magic mushrooms has been shown to help anxiety, depression and PTSD using large doses or microdoses. Currently there are organizations such as MAPS looking for volunteers who qualify to participate in research studies that will further advance Psychedelic therapy.
3. Kick Sugar to the Curb. Sugar feeds disease and causes chronic inflammation which disturbs the whole body and creates physical, mental and emotional instability. Be on the look out for the sugar content in the food that you eat and switch to a healthy alternative such as raw honey. Gluten and Dairy have similar effects and we highly suggest eliminating them from your diet.
4. Let go of FEAR. Live in the now, stay present and appreciate the small things right in front of you. Living with worry and anxiety is living in fear of the unknown. Fill that unknown with knowledge and understanding, learn to recognize what makes you fearful so that you can correct the behavior by taking a breath and being positive. Everything will be alright.
5. Start breathing. Sometimes the difference between a good decision and a bad decision is one breath! That's because your breath is the biggest tool you have to self discovery and self control. Your breath helps you control your heart and your brain. So if you want to help calm your mind or your heart use your breath. Learn to use your breath to relax, heal and perform at your best. Consider practicing the Wim Hof Method or alternate nostril breathing excercises daily.
6. Start Moving. Your body is designed to move and the more you move the stronger, more agile and stable you are going to be. Additionally, your lymphatic system is responsible for detoxing the body and it requires movement to pump fluids throughout the body and detox properly. If the body stops moving the toxins will build up and chronic inflammation, muscle imbalances and injuries in the long run will be inevitable. We suggest Qi Gong for those who need gentle movement or Restorative yoga.
7. Use your intention. Setting an intention for your day is one of the best ways to stay focused on your personal goals. Set your intention in the mornings when you wake up. For example an intention could be: " I will be more conscious of my breath today" or " I will not think I am sick, I am healing "
8. "It is no longer Survival of the Fittest but an extension of generosity to others" - Paul Stamets
The only way we can move forward from where we stand today is together. These times have shown us the importance of strength in community. This 2021, live from a place of love and compassion for others because true change starts from within.
Estefania Valencia & Salam Diri
SannaOhana Yoga & Wellness