This month of March we honor Women in history and their contributions to our society. Inspired by this powerful Feminine Energy, we decided to discuss some of the ways women can use Cannabis to improve their lives by enhancing their health; mind, body & spirit.
The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is a self regulatory system that manages many vital functions in the body. The ECS maintains balance (homeostasis) within all of the organ systems helping the body adapt and respond to stressors in the environment accordingly. It plays a major role in regulating functions like temperature, mood, memory, sleeping, pleasure, reproduction, pain, immunity, and the reward system.
The ECS is composed of neurotransmitters also known as Endocannabinoids which function as signaling molecules that bind to receptor sites located throughout the body. The most well known receptors are the CB1 and CB2 receptors. The CB1 receptors are concentrated all over the central nervous system, including the brain and the spine. The CB2 receptors are located in the peripheral nervous system, organs, skin and immune cells.
Cannabis contains molecules known as Cannabinoids that mimic our naturally produced Endocannabinoids and bind similarly to the body's receptor sites. As a result, Cannabis can be used to help restore balance in the body when used appropriately by optimizing endocannabinoid system function.
Common stressors in our environment, genetics, toxins, and bad dietary decisions affect the way our ECS functions, therefore disrupting our homeostasis mechanisms and ability to heal. Experts in the field of Cannabis medicine and Endocannabinology are now using Cannabis to treat patients successfully with disorders tied to ECS dysfunction.
The ECS has been closely associated with the function of major endocrine glands located in the brain, responsible for women's reproductive system function and hormone balance. Women have been using cannabis for gynecological health purposes for thousands of years, according to renowned cannabis researcher Dr. Ethan Russo. Ancient texts in China, Persia, Israel/Palestine, and Syria all recommended cannabis for an array of complaints that impact women, including painful cramps, bloating, abnormal bleeding, menopausal symptoms, and urinary tract infections. In ancient Europe, women helped ease their contractions during childbirth by grinding cannabis into honey and introducing the botanical substance vaginally.
Below are 14 ways Cannabis can help improve Women's health & wellness
1.Cannabis can help improve menstrual pain and other PMS symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea by reducing inflammation and relaxing abdominal contractions
2. Cannabis can help improve the quality of sleep. Helping women fall asleep faster and wake up less often
3. Cannabis can help temperature regulation, by inducing a cooling effect which can help manage menopause symptoms such as hot flashes
4. Cannabis can help reduce mood swings, anxiety and depression by calming the nervous system and mind.
5. Cannabis can also aid in bone regulation through ECS support, therefore reducing the risk for osteoporosis a condition seen commonly in women post menopause
6. Cannabis can help in regulating hormone imbalances and ovulation disorders that result from Endocannabinoid deficiencies such as Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome.
7. Cannabis reduces mental, physical and emotional stress by helping give a positive and often objective outlook on stressful situations
8. Cannabis can improve Women's sexual health. Women's sexual arousal was shown to increase when there are higher concentrations of Cannabinoids in their system. Cannabis helps women relax, feel more comfortable and sensitive to pleasure.
9. Low Cannabis use may help improve fertility in certain situations depending on the concentration of cannabinoids present in the body. Higher levels of THC have been linked to reduced fertility in some research studies but more research still has to be done.
10. Cannabis can help deal with morning sickness and other symptoms of early pregnancy. Cannabis used during pregnancy is continuously increasing among women, although more research is still needed regarding the safety of using cannabis during pregnancy.
11. Cannabis makes excercise, stretching and other forms of movement more conscious, less painful and more pleasurable by reducing pain levels and inflammation
12. Topical use of Cannabis can improve skin health and appearance by reducing inflammation and breakout flares caused by hormonal imbalances.
2. Topical Cannabis can also stimulate hair growth and health
13. Cannabis can improve longevity by helping the body adapt to stress and therefore reduce damage caused by stress more effectively which leads to early aging
14. Cannabis can help reduce the chances of cancer growth by supporting the ECS natural function in preventing abnormal cell mutations and inducing cell apoptosis (cell death) by disrupting signaling pathways involved in tumor progression
There are many ways Cannabis can help women achieve health and balance in their lives. Maintaining a healthy Endocannabinoid system should be a main focus in any women focusing on restoring their health. Although Cannabis is a great way to enhance the ECS, too much of it over a long period of time has the potential to be disruptive. Thankfully Cannabis is not the only way to stimulate the Endocannabinoid system. Dancing, singing, excercise, yoga, breathing excercises, meditation, making love, eating healthy foods, herbs and spices, and Laughing are all ways to support your Endocannabinoid System. We suggest that any women attempting to restore their health and balance incorporates all these ways of activating their ECS as guide to self healing.